HELP PREVENT THEFTS FROM VEHICLES
There is a lot you can do to prevent your car and the valuables inside from being stolen such as taking a few sensible precautions:
• An unlocked car is an open invitation to a car thief. Lock up whenever you leave your car and take your keys with you.
• Close all windows tightly.
• When you park your car, be sure to remove all items from view—particularly items of value. Remove any boxes, bags, backpacks, or any other container—even if you know they are empty.
• Remove any portable GPS units, satellite radio receivers, garage door openers, keys, and cell phones.
At home, the best remedy is to clear room in the garage and park your vehicle inside secure garage.
• At night, park in well-lighted areas.
• Avoid leaving an auto unattended in parking lots for an extended period of time.
Most people are often surprised to find out that their car or truck was broken into seemingly “right under their nose,” in the driveway or a parking lot. The fact is, you are just as likely to be a victim of a theft from your vehicle as anybody. Your car is usually the second most expensive thing you’ll ever purchase, after a house. It’s also the thing most people leave unprotected and susceptible to thieves. Car thefts and burglaries are crimes of opportunities. You have the power to remove the opportunity by removing valuables and other items from your vehicle, locking it up, and parking in a safe secure area like a locked garage. If you remove the target that a thief is after, you decrease the desire for a thief to burglarize your vehicle. Remember to keep an eye out for your neighbor’s vehicles. If you see any suspicious activity, report it to the Keith County Communication Center at 308-284-2011. Or call 911.